We are just a few steps away from fall and I just couldn’t help myself. I put on my fuzziest socks and made this delicious bowl of Chicken taco soup! This Chicken taco soup recipe has all of my favorite ingredients in one bowl. Super flavorful poblano peppers and green chilies next to sweet corn and well seasoned tender, shredded chicken all sitting inside chicken broth and unsweetened coconut milk. It is SO tasty you will keep going back for one more bowl.
- 4 pounds of Chicken Breast
- 4 tablespoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of roasted garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cilantro (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 medium sized red onion (julienned)
- 1 small yellow onion (julienned)
- 4 Poblano peppers (julienned)
- 7 oz. of diced green chilies
- 17.6 oz of Goya salsa verde
- 12 oz can of tomatillos (drained)
- 15.25 oz of whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk (I use Thai kitchen brand)
- Turn on your slow cooker to high.
- Add chicken breast.
- In a separate small bowl mix together all seasonings.
- Add seasoning mix to chicken and cover well.
- Add julienne cut onions and poblano peppers.
- Add diced green chilies.
- Add jar of salsa verde.
- In a separate bowl add tomatillos (drained) and smash with a potato smasher or a fork until all tomatillos and juices are smushed in the bowl.
- Add bowl of tomatillos to slow cooker.
- Drain can of sweet corn and add to slow cooker.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth.
- Open can of unsweetened coconut milk into a measuring cup and mix well with a fork.
- Add well mixed coconut milk to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high.
- After 4 hours take out chicken breast and shred.
- Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and cook for 2 additional hours.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
Salt is very important in this recipe. If after the four hour mark, when you go to shred the chicken, check the flavor of the soup and adjust the salt level to your liking a small amount at a time.
For the tomatillos, it is helpful if you smash the tomatillos, this will allow you to fit more in the slow cooker and all of those delicious flavors from inside the tomatillos will come out into your soup. Be careful if you come across a plump tomatillo that doesn’t want to be smashed easily. Take a fork and make a puncture mark on the tomatillo and then try to smash it again. Take it from me if you try to put too much pressure on an already plump tomatillo, you will have tomatillo guts on you, the floor and the counter!
For the salsa verde, you can use your favorite, it does not have to be the Goya brand, the more flavorful the salsa the more flavorful the soup! So use your favorite if you have one.
If you find that you have more room in your crockpot and have leftover broth and coconut milk, feel free to add it to the slow cooker. However, do it after you have shredded and re-added the chicken and also re-check the saltiness after the addition and re-adjust.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup (Salsa Verde)