Chicken Taco Soup! We are just a few steps away from fall and I just couldn’t help myself. I put on my fuzziest socks and made this delicious bowl of chicken taco soup! This chicken taco soup recipe has all of my favorite ingredients in one bowl. Super flavorful poblano peppers and green chilies next to sweet corn and well-seasoned tender, shredded chicken all sitting inside chicken broth and unsweetened coconut milk. It is SO tasty you will keep going back for one more bowl.
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe (Salsa Verde version)
This Chicken taco recipe is so good, it’s tangy and has depth just like your favorite chicken taco….in a bowl! You can even add your favorite toppings.
I would say there are three components to this soup, the fresh ingredients, the seasoning and the pantry items.
The fresh ingredients include chopped red and yellow onion, 4 poblanos, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 4 pounds of chicken breast.
The pantry items include one can of green chilies, one bottle of salsa verde, one can of tomatillos, one can of whole kernel sweet corn, unsweetened coconut milk and chicken broth.
The seasoning is key and so is the salt content. Add one tablespoon of salt in with the seasoning mix for the chicken and then at the end add salt to taste.
This is my go to chicken taco seasoning. Cumin gives the soup depth, just like in chilis or stews, and the rest is a nice blend that goes into taco meat. All combined to make a delicious bowl of soup!
Start by turning your slow cooker on high, next add your raw chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker and add your taco seasoning a little at a time. Turn the chicken until fully covered with seasoning. Next, cut your onion and poblano pepper julienne style (in skinny strips) and add those to the slow cooker along with your minced garlic.
Start opening all your canned goods and add your green chilies, salsa verde, tomatillos(drained) and sweet corn(drained). Finally, add your chicken broth and unsweetened coconut milk, in equal parts. Cook for 6 hours
Once the chicken can shred easily, take out and shred and add back into the slow cooker. I usually take the chicken out at about 4 hours and shred or chop and then add back into the soup and cook for the remainder two hours. I do this because I can test the soup and see if I need to add any additional salt or add any additional chicken stock and coconut milk.
Lastly, serve with your favorite toppings. My husband and I added crumbled tortilla chips, chopped cilantro and onion, a little squeeze of lime and crema. So GOOD. Side note: My husband came home from work, when I first made this soup and was not that hungry but I asked him to please taste at least on spoonful. He continued to eat an entire bowl. LOL!
We are just a few steps away from fall and I just couldn’t help myself. I put on my fuzziest socks and made this delicious bowl of Chicken taco soup! This Chicken taco soup recipe has all of my favorite ingredients in one bowl. Super flavorful poblano peppers and green chilies next to sweet corn and well seasoned tender, shredded chicken all sitting inside chicken broth and unsweetened coconut milk. It is SO tasty you will keep going back for one more bowl.
- 4 pounds of Chicken Breast
- 4 tablespoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of roasted garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cilantro (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 medium sized red onion (julienned)
- 1 small yellow onion (julienned)
- 4 Poblano peppers (julienned)
- 7 oz. of diced green chilies
- 17.6 oz of Goya salsa verde
- 12 oz can of tomatillos (drained)
- 15.25 oz of whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk (I use Thai kitchen brand)
- Turn on your slow cooker to high.
- Add chicken breast.
- In a separate small bowl mix together all seasonings.
- Add seasoning mix to chicken and cover well.
- Add julienne cut onions and poblano peppers.
- Add diced green chilies.
- Add jar of salsa verde.
- In a separate bowl add tomatillos (drained) and smash with a potato smasher or a fork until all tomatillos and juices are smushed in the bowl.
- Add bowl of tomatillos to slow cooker.
- Drain can of sweet corn and add to slow cooker.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth.
- Open can of unsweetened coconut milk into a measuring cup and mix well with a fork.
- Add well mixed coconut milk to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high.
- After 4 hours take out chicken breast and shred.
- Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and cook for 2 additional hours.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
Salt is very important in this recipe. If after the four hour mark, when you go to shred the chicken, check the flavor of the soup and adjust the salt level to your liking a small amount at a time.
For the tomatillos, it is helpful if you smash the tomatillos, this will allow you to fit more in the slow cooker and all of those delicious flavors from inside the tomatillos will come out into your soup. Be careful if you come across a plump tomatillo that doesn’t want to be smashed easily. Take a fork and make a puncture mark on the tomatillo and then try to smash it again. Take it from me if you try to put too much pressure on an already plump tomatillo, you will have tomatillo guts on you, the floor and the counter!
For the salsa verde, you can use your favorite, it does not have to be the Goya brand, the more flavorful the salsa the more flavorful the soup! So use your favorite if you have one.
If you find that you have more room in your crockpot and have leftover broth and coconut milk, feel free to add it to the slow cooker. However, do it after you have shredded and re-added the chicken and also re-check the saltiness after the addition and re-adjust.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup (Salsa Verde)