This Kale Pico de Gallo recipe is so good! Strong earthy flavors from the kale and a slight fruitiness from the apple cider vinegar and agave to soften the kale make this pico different from most but just as good as the original. Also, this pico is perfect during the winter months when kale is in season.
- 2 cups of kale (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of onion (I used red but yellow can also be used)
- 1 serrano (finely chopped-with seeds and membrane removed)
- 1 roma tomato (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon of agave (honey can be substituted)
- Finely chop the kale, onion, serrano, tomato, and cilantro to a medium sized bowl.
- Add lime and apple cider vinegar and mix well in the bowl (the kale needs to soften a bit by the lime and vinegar).
- Add salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, and agave.
- Mix well and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 20 minutes before serving to allow the vinegar to penetrate the kale.
If your pico still tastes bitter, add more agave and or more salt.
Next level: Add avocado!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: sides
- Cuisine: mexican