This unique mussels in white wine sauce has great flavor and is super easy to make. We put a slight twist on the normal mussels in white wine sauce recipe with the addition of coconut milk, jalapeños and cilantro. This gives a slight kick and a much creamier sauce.
- 2 lbs. of mussels
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of minced sweet onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Clean fresh mussels under running cold water lightly scrubbing.
- Remove any remaining beards of the mussels.
- Throw away any opened mussels.
- Mince the garlic cloves, jalapeño and onion.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño and onion to a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add butter and stir until the butter begins to froth.
- Add the wine, coconut milk and the salt.
- Bring to boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add muscles and cover pan.
- Cook for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Transfer muscles and sauce to bowls removing any unopened mussels.
- Garnish mussels with chopped cilantro.
Shallots can be used to replace the sweet onion.
Nothing beats a good buttered baguette served with the mussels to soak up the sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes