This sweet potato burrito bowl with ancho chili sauce is not only delicious but also helps you power through your day. This recipe is very filling with a base of white rice, black beans, onion and of course sweet potato. Adding avocado, diced tomato, cilantro, lime juice and a great ancho chili sauce packs tons of flavor and loads of vitamins and minerals making a powerful lunch that will fill you up and not leave you feeling tired afterwards.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 and a half cups of white rice
- 5 cups of chicken stock
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans
- 1 4 oz. can of green chilis
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 dried ancho chilis
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 avocado
- 3 tbsp. of avocado oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- Cook 2 and a half cups of white rice in 5 cups of chicken stock following the instructions on the rice package.
- Take your two dried ancho chilis and remove the stems and slice them open lengthwise so that they lie flat and you can remove the seeds and veins.
- Flash roast the chilis for 15 seconds per side on a hot dry skillet with the help of a spatula.
- Place chilis in a bowl of hot water with a plate on top of them to keep them submerged for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Dice 4 sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl with 2 tbsp. of avocado oil and mix until they are well covered.
- Create the seasoning for the sweet potatoes by combine cumin, coriander, oregano and chili powder.
- Mix the seasoning with the sweet potatoes until they are well covered.
- Place the the seasoned sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Dice the yellow onion and place in a medium sauce pan with 1 tbsp. of avocado oil and sauté until the onion turns translucent.
- Dice 4 cloves of garlic and add to the onions along with the 4 oz. can of green chilis.
- Rinse 2 cans of 15 oz. black beans and add them to the sauce pan and continue to sauté for another 10 minutes.
- While everything cooks, dice the tomato, cilantro and slice the avocado and iceberg lettuce.
- Combine all finished ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the juice of one lime on the constructed bowl.
- Take your rehydrated ancho chilis and place them in a blender with 1/2 cup of the liquid left over from rehydrating the chilis and 3 cloves of garlic.
- Pulse until you have a very smooth consistency.
- Finish the sauce by adding 2 tbsps. of mayonnaise for every tbsp. of chili paste and salt to taste.
- Serve the bowl with the sauce on the side.
Olive oil can be used in the place of the avocado oil.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes