I’m so excited to have perfected my recipe for a Mojito with homemade mint simple syrup. To be honest with you I have always felt that mojitos were just okay. Then one time while on vacation and on a mission to find the perfect mojito, I found one! After visiting a dozen places while in Puerto Rico, I came across a gorgeous hotel called the El Convento. This hotel is one of the oldest historic hotels in America and is a must see if you are ever in Puerto Rico. Inside is an atrium bar which is so beautiful, AND they make the best mojitos!!! Yumm. Already wishing I was there. After visiting this place a couple of times throughout the years, I finally asked what makes their mojito above all others? The bartender slammed one of the bottles on the table and said……….homemade simple syrup! Although he would not give me all his secrets (nor do I want them – I like the magic), he did tell me that he makes a mint infused simple syrup as his base. So, as I patiently waited for my mint plant to grow this summer all I’ve been thinking about are mojitos!
The ingredients are simple, mint, lime, rum, and club soda. To make the simple syrup, you will need sugar and mint.
Grab about 2 cups of mint and roughly chop them and put them into a bowl (make sure the bowl can withstand high heat because you will be pouring boiling water into the bowl later). I knew I was going to be making mojitos for a party coming up so I made a larger batch (to make a smaller batch use 1 cup of everything). Take a sauce pan and pour 2 cups of water and add 2 cups of sugar over medium heat. Stir until the sugar becomes clear and continue to heat until everything starts to boil. Once the liquid starts to boil pour hot sugar water into the bowl with the mint and cover with plastic wrap until the liquid cools to room temperature. Once the liquid cools, strain out the mint and you will have yourself THE most delicious homemade mint simple syrup. I stored the simple syrup in a large mason jar and kept it in the fridge until I was ready to make mojitos with homemade mint simple syrup!
When you’re ready to make the mojitos start with a 16 oz drinking glass. Take 4 mint leaves and a wedge of lime (1/4 of fresh lime or 1 0z) and muddle (or smush/smash) them at the bottom of the glass. Then add 1 oz of your simple syrup, 2 oz of clear rum, 4 oz of club soda and fill the rest of your glass with ice. Serve immediately.
Enjoy your Mojitos with homemade mint simple syrup!
If you are looking for some food to go along with this drink, check out my shrimp tacos recipe.Print
Take your cocktail to the next level by making your own quick mint simple syrup. This delicious Mojito will be a hit at your next party.
- Simple Syrup:
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of roughly chopped mint
- 4 mint leaves
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1 oz lime juice
- 2 oz clear rum
- 4 oz club soda
- Garnish with mint leaves and lime wedges
- Simple Syrup:
- Take 2 cups of mint, roughly chopped and put them into a bowl (set aside)
- (make sure the bowl can withstand high heat)
- Take a sauce pan and pour 2 cups of water and add 2 cups of sugar over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar becomes clear and continue to heat until everything starts to boil.
- Once boiling, pour the hot sugar water into the bowl with the mint
- Cover with plastic wrap until the liquid cools to room temperature.
- Once the liquid cools, strain out the mint
- Start with a 16 oz drinking glass.
- Take 4 mint leaves and a wedge of lime (1/4 of fresh lime or 1 oz) and muddle (or smush/smash) Then add 1 oz of your simple syrup,
- oz of clear rum,
- oz of club soda and fill the rest of your glass with ice.
- Stir.Serve immediately.
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican