Poblano 3-Bean Chili:
As the weather has started to have that crisp in the air and football season is just around the corner, it is most definitely chili time! I love Chili! I love making chili, I love eating chili. I love chili cook-offs and sharing recipes with friends. There are so many variations to chili, and people are so passionate about their famous chili recipe, I love it. This recipe is a fairly new recipe, with it being pepper season, I knew I wanted to use up some poblanos from my garden. Since poblano’s are known for their earthiness flavor, I thought I would create a smokiness-earthy flavored type of chili, full of flavor.
As I was pulling out some of my spices for the chili, I came across this smoked hot paprika (shown above) that I have been wanting to use! I saw it at Marshalls, and thought it was unique and especially loved the packaging. It was a must have for me. I was so excited to pull this out to use.
The recipe is so easy, it can be done in two steps. 1st, Brown the meat and second throw everything into the crock-pot and walk away for 4 hours. 🙂 Done and done!
Once you are done browning the meat, throw it into the crock-pot with all of the drippings. Next, add the chopped onion, 2 Poblano’s chopped and deveined. Then add all the canned stuff, like the canned fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste and rinsed and drained red kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans. Next, I throw in the beer, Dos Equis Amber is preferable or any Mexican lager would work.
Once you have all the canned stuff in the crock-pot, give it a good mix, look how beautiful the colors are! I love it! Quick tip: When adding the 1 cup of beef broth, first add the 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flower to the beef broth and mix well, then add to the crock pot. This helps the flour to not clump together.
Lastly, throw in all of your seasonings, like the minced garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin and salt. Then walk away stirring occasionally for 4 hours.
Serve with any toppings you choose, my favorites are cheese, fresh onions (lots of onions!) and sour cream. Not a sour cream fan? Add Avocado instead. Sooo goood.
Poblano 3-bean Chili
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 6 to 8 1x
This chili is smoky and super flavorful, perfect for football season!
- 1.5 Pounds Ground Sirloin
- 1 Large Red Onion Chopped
- 2 Poblanos Chopped and De-seeded
- 6 oz. Mexican Lager (Dos Equis Amber)
- 1 Cup of Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 15 oz Can of Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz Can of Red Kidney Beans -rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz Can of Pinto Beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz Can of Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons of Minced Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- Brown Ground Sirloin and add to crock-pot with drippings
- Add chopped onions
- Add chopped poblano’s (de-seeded)
- Add 6 oz. Mexican Beer
- Add 1 cup of beef broth with 2 tablespoons of flour mixture
- Add Fire Roasted tomatoes and tomato paste
- Add all beans rinsed and drained
- Add all seasonings, stir well
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Leave a Reply