This chicken rigatoni with mushroom dish is the perfect comfort food for winter. A light creamy mushroom sauce with strips of chicken makes a great and quick weeknight meal.
- 3 chicken breasts (roughly 9 oz)
- 16 oz of sliced Portobello mushrooms
- 1 16 oz box of rigatoni
- 1 cup of white wine
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of parmesan
- In a large stock pot add water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Add rigatoni pasta and cook according to the directions on the pasta box stirring occasionally.
- Pat dry the chicken breast, salt and slice into strips.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil on medium heat stirring often.
- Once the butter has melted, add chicken and sauté for 5 minutes stirring to evenly cook.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- After the mushrooms are sautéed, add wine and place on simmer until the wine has slightly reduced.
- Slowly add cream and 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan.
- Stir and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid had reduced by half.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Salt to taste.
- Add chopped chives and red pepper flakes for color and a little heat.
- Add more parmesan.
Leave a teeny bit of the pasta water when combining the pasta and the sauce in the skillet. This will add flavor, help the sauce to attach to the pasta for maximum flavor and help the sauce thicken.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken rigatoni with mushrooms