Hi!, my name is Elena.
Welcome to a place where you can learn about new ingredients & find new recipes
Let’s Get Cooking!
What are we about?
SavorParadise is a website striving to help guide others to learn new recipes and ingredients. We primarily focus on hassle-free Mexican & Puerto Rican recipes with a modern twist as well as bring some recipes home from our travels. Don’t get me wrong I have wonderful memories on my grandmothers spending all day in the kitchen cooking authentic family recipes but as a new mom and in today’s world, spending all day in the kitchen is just not sustainable. Also, I should mention that I live in Indiana and those authentic ingredients that my grandmothers used can be hard to find. So many of my recipes are adapted to what I am able to find locally.
What does SavorParadise mean?
SavorParadise – A person searching to taste and enjoy food or drink completely, in an idyllic place or state of mind.
Why should you subscribe?
This website is for people who don’t have a ton of time but like to try new things. We are an adventurous bunch! This is also for beginner to intermediate cooks at home.
What should you expect?
If you love to learn, take action and are interested in exploring new ingredients, then this is the place for you!
- New Ingredients – Here I will introduce new ingredients you’ve maybe never heard of unless you grew up in a Mexican or Puerto Rican household. Also, if you are not able to travel as much as you’d like, I will sometimes introduce spices or ingredients I’ve learned about on my travels.
- Adapted Mexican & Puerto Rican recipes – Time to come clean, I don’t speak Spanish! There I said it. It still doesn’t take away the fond memories I have of spending time with my grandmothers in the kitchen and the love I have for both of these rich cultures. I have never been one to leave a recipe as is, my husband calls me a mad scientist in the kitchen. I am always changing the recipe to make it faster, or adapting for grill season or adapting to make it slightly healthier. It all depends on the season, my mood, how much time I have and what ingredients I am able to find. Also, now that we have the Instant pot, crockpot, grill, air fryer and pressure cooker…why would I not use these tools to make life easier on myself!
- Recipes from our Travels – We love food, and on those occasions that we cannot travel, we love to cook some of our favorite dishes from places we’ve been to. My father also served in the Army so from a young age, I fell in love with all cultures having moved around a lot.
- Recipes for the every day – At the end of the day I am a Hispanic – American mom living the lake life in Indiana.
The Evolution of SavorParadise:
In 2017, I started this personal food blog, learning about the food blogging industry, writing about what was going on in my life and enjoying my mad-scientist skills in the kitchen creating wonderful recipes, one that has appeared on The Food Network!
In 2022, one of my recipes appeared on the Food Networks very own “The Pioneer Woman” website under 50 Best Leftover Ham Recipes.
I started the blog in a search for what I was truly passionate about. At the time, I was struggling with my journey of infertility and wanted a creative outlet, something to keep me busy, and thought I would share my love of cooking and bringing people together. I began by writing about travel (pre-covid of course), entertaining and then making recipes from our travels.
Then, after the loss of my grandmother, I decided to take a year and write about all of the things that she taught my dad and I in the kitchen and also my love of tacos. This blog is still for them and my extended family from Guanajuato, Mexico. I also started visiting Puerto Rico more often to learn more about the culture and food scene as well as visit the family grave site in Humacao PR.
Then after a year of covid and not being able to leave the house, I pivoted to a small passion project that I had been working on and off on for years, where I use my analyst skills for sharing information on happiness. Combining food, analytics, and happiness. For a year, I went vegan and focused on mental health activities.
Which brings us to now. In today’s environment, I find myself with a 6month adopted little boy that is my whole world and a Golden Retriever rescue that takes up so much of my time. This leaves my husband and I trying to find the time to make dinner and sit down together at the dinner table together every week.
I live in a small town in Northwest Indiana where my husband, Ben and I live on a lake. Over the last year we’ve adopted a beautiful newborn son and rescued our first golden retriever.
Like with everyone…COVID-19 has changed our lives, where we both work from home full-time. Like many people, we have had to adjust, find our new normal and adapt to the new world order.
More about me:
- I’m obsessed with all things 80s! Movies, music, clothing…I just can’t get enough! I really am one big goofball.
- Huge Disney fan….Snow White to be specific but also Indiana Jones and Star Wars obsessed. I mentioned I was a geek earlier right? John Williams is the greatest composer to ever live…just going to throw that out there. I also had the opportunity to complete my professional internship at Walt Disney World Resorts on the Marketing Analytics Team. Still one of the best times of my life.
- I love plants and my little robotic R2D2. We have a bunch of potted peppers and herbs on our deck, and also potted lime and clementine trees.
- I love all food and culture! This world is so big, I can’t wait to learn more about other food cultures.
What should you do now?
- Share a SavorParadise recipe photo on Instagram @savorparadise with #savorparadise or a happiness photo from some of our challenges with #SPhappiness
- Save our recipes on Pinterest!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time out of your life to read this. Feel free to contact me to share things about you.